Monday 8 September 2014

Retro Floral Dress

As mentioned in this post, I have been working on a new dress design, and after a few months of perfecting it, I finally felt it was ready enough to cut into some of my good fabrics with. I picked up this amazing retro floral fabric from an op shop months and months ago and I loved it so much that I knew I would have to make myself a dress out of it. I used my new 50's inspired dress design to make this dress as I wanted to test my new pattern and happily, it turned out just as I was hoping it would!

So I guess this is a little sneak peek of my new dress design I've been working on! As I said, it's a 50's inspired dress and features a gathered full circle skirt that sits at about knee height, a snug fitting bodice, cute capped sleeves and v-back neckline. I'm really happy with how it has turned out and I hope you will be too! I'm hoping to make this dress in sizes 8-18, so once I've tested each of these sizes to see if they all work as good as this one did, and have collected some pretty vintage fabrics to make this dress in, I will have it available in my Etsy shop. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. My eyes basically turned into lovehearts upon seeing this! Such beautiful fabric and a beautiful design. I collect vintage sheets in the hope that I'll one day whip something up from them. For the moment some of them are acting as makeshift curtains! My mum sent me a good basic sewing machine for my birthday, but I am really not very ambitious with it. I've never really been shown how to do anything besides a hem. I also like to collect vintage childrens clothes patterns, but I'm too afraid to try any (and they seem complicated and confusing). I love to see what you're sewing and I love your designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca! I'm glad you love it! I find sewing patterns really confusing and often never read the instructions and instead try to make it up as I go. I think you would really enjoy sewing. It just takes a bit of practice, but once you get started it doesn't take long to get the hang of it! I guess just start small and don't get disheartened when you make mistakes (the beauty of sewing is you can easily fix them!) If you ever want to be shown how, just let me know as I'd be happy to help! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric design and if it's vintage inspired, I'm sure it's gorgeous! I can't wait to see the whole thing :)

    Kassandra | The Desert Poppy

    ReplyDelete